For current club information
please check out our LATEST NEWS page.
Garage Sale continues July 22 & 23, 2016
Heritage Gardeners began as a limited group, meeting in homes, back in 1966, and was “federated” as a member of the state and national organizations in June of that year. Soon after, Cecil Brown, Sr., son of Frank J. Brown, a founder of the Friendswood community, donated property to the organization for the reconstruction of the Brown’s original home built in 1895.
With Pete Workman serving as superintendent of the project, and with the aid and support of many members of the community as well as the club members, the Frank J. Brown Heritage Museum and Garden Center was replicated on the donated property at 108 Skyview.
In 1888, a Chrysanthemum which had been brought in a pot from Kansas was the only floral tribute at the first (Friendswood) settlement funeral of the Frank J. Brown family. The plant had a cluster of white blossoms.
As a tribute to the founders of Friendswood, the Heritage Gardeners elected the Chrysanthemum as the club flower.
In 1989 Heritage Gardeners purchased the home at 112 West Spreading Oaks and with the help of members and community transformed it into the clubhouse used today. In June 1992 the clubhouse was dedicated to and named The Marie Workman Garden Center and Briscoe Gardens, after founding members Marie Workman and Ed and Ruby Briscoe.